Programme 18: Development Plan Implementation
Key activities for FY 2023/24 under Programme 18: Development Plan Implementation
1. The Ministry will prepare the National Budget Framework Paper, Budget Estimates for FY 2024/25 and Budget Performance Reports as well as continue with the alignment of Budget Outputs to the NDP III PIAPs.
2.The Budget Speech for FY 2024/25 will be prepared and presented to Parliament and the general public in line with the PFMA, 2015. Additionally, quarterly release proposals for wage, pension and gratuity, non-wage and development for FY 2023/24 will be prepared and issued.
3. The Ministry will prepare the Annual NDP III programme service delivery profiles for MALGs, FY 2022/23 as well as the Background to the Budget (BTTB) for FY 2024/25 and quarterly management briefs (NDPIII Employment Reforms and Results (ERR); managing for competitiveness; and Programme Spending and Service Delivery (PSSD) Performance Development Framework Updates for DPP Portal.
4. Update the macroeconomic framework and the government cashflow statement that reflect the overall performance of domestic revenues, loan repayments, external loans and grants and other financing. Analytical reports on the Structure of the economy will also be produced using the SAM (Social Accounting Matrix).
5. Expenditure reviews for various Programs will be undertaken including Governance and Security, Regional Development, Public Sector Transformation, Legislature and Private Sector Promotion Programmes to ensure efficiency in budgeting and resource utilization.
6. MDAs will be supported to identify and prepare Projects for review by the Programme Heads and the Development Committee (DC). This is aimed at approval and consequent inclusion in the Public Investment Plan (PIP) for funding and implementation.
7. Programme Budgeting System (PBS) Module for Monthly Cash Flow Forecasting will be rolled out to MDAs. Subsequently, 90 MDAs will be trained in preparing and submitting realistic Cash Flow Forecasts using the Module.
8. A strategy for investment of Government temporary surplus cash will be developed and discussed with all relevant stakeholders.
9. The Annual Medium-Term Debt Management Strategy (MTDS) FY 2023/24, Quarterly Debt Statistical Bulletin (DSB) and public debt portfolio & risk analysis will be produced and published. Additionally, the Ministry will finalize, approve and disseminate the Financing Expression of Interest Guidelines(FEOIGs).
10. The Ministry will conduct issuances for domestic Treasury securities including Bills and Bonds aimed at financing the budget deficit through Net Domestic Financing (NDF) and refinancing for securities whose maturities fall due during the FY 2023/24
Key activities for FY 2022/23 under Programme 18: Development Plan Implementation
- Rollout the new Programme Budgeting System (PBS) modules for Budget Execution and Reporting across all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and Local Government Votes;
- Build capacity of Staff on mainstreaming of Gender and Equity issue into expenditure plans and priorities;
- Develop guidelines and checklist for mainstreaming G&E commitments in the interventions of the Ministry’s departments and Subventions;
- Carry out a gender capacity needs assessment to guide development of a comprehensive gender capacity building plan;
- Guide directorate and departmental staff on how to mainstream Gender and Equity;
- Build capacity of Economists in specialized aspects of economic planning including manpower planning, spatial planning, Economic Modeling, climate change planning, Health planning among other areas economic planning;
- Undertake a review of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) Act review to harmonize the Public Investment Management System (PIMS) with the PPP legal & regulatory framework.
- Undertake quarterly external disbursement reconciliations for Development Partner financed projects;
- Mobilize resources to finance the fiscal deficit in the Resource Envelope for FY 2023/24.
- Negotiate and sign External financing (Grants and Loans) Agreements to support the budget for FY 2023/24;
- Prepare Policy and Technical Briefs on budget preparation and execution to facilitate Government investment decision-making;
- Appraise development projects for all infrastructure and social services programs for inclusion in the PIP for FY 2023/24 and the medium-term;
- Conduct user acceptance trainings on the guidelines for issuance of certificates of financial implications;
- Provide, upgrade and maintain a robust and secure technical support and licenses for Public Financial Management (PFM) Systems;
- Prepare the Medium-Term Fiscal Framework to guide preparation of resource envelope for the budget for FY 2023/24 and the medium-term macro-convergence program;
- Monitor implementation of the Charter for Fiscal Responsibility (2021/22-2025/26);
- Carryout Debt Sustainability Analysis report for FY 2023/24 based on the current level of debt and prospective borrowing in line with a consistent macroeconomic framework;
- Review amendments to the various tax laws to identify new sources of revenue and simplify the tax regime;
- Strengthen implementation of the Domestic Revenue Mobilization Strategy (DRMS) to realize the revenue targets;
- Develop the regulatory framework for revenue management of oil, gas and minerals;
- Support alignment of MDAs budgets to NDPIII strategic Program and facilitate refinement of Program Implementation Action Plan;
- Rollout E-Government Procurement, Government of Uganda Assets Management Information System and Human Capital Management and facilitate systems integration with IFMS;
- Provide continuous financial and technical capacity building to Local Governments (LGs) to strengthen and promote Local Economic Development (LED) at the Parish level;
- Institute mechanisms to strengthen government structures by operationalizing all created regional Cities, sub counties and Town councils to oversee implementation of the Parish Development Model;
- Facilitate the development of fiscal risk statements across MDAs in line with best practice;
- Risk Management Strategy, Policy and guidelines developed in line with best practice;
- Execute Risk Identification and evaluation through Control and Risk Self-Assessment (CRSA) workshops meetings;
- Conduct risk indicators baseline surveys and facilitate preparation of Fiscal Risk Statements;
- Form and operationalize Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Task-force across government;